Thursday, December 23, 2010

Luck of the Irish

There is sign hanging above the stairwell between the home team locker room and the tunnel to the field of Notre Dame Stadium that reads “Play Like A Champion Today”.  Now while I am a diehard Penn State fan, I find myself drawing a little inspiration from the Fighting Irish.
With two days left before Christmas, I would say that today is the equivalent of third down and long situation on the football field.  Will you step up and make the big play to lead your team down the field in hope of obtaining a victory or will you fold under the pressure? Are you ready to play like a champion today?
Now I know I might sound a little crazy but the other day as I went to my 5th store looking for the elusive zebra pillow pet for my 8 year old cousin, I felt my competitive, never say die side kick in.  Sure I could have gone with the safe play to get an easy first down by getting one of the other pillow pet animals that I saw but I wanted the zebra.  I wanted to go for the big touchdown.  And the 5th time was a charm!  I just wrapped up the oversized zebra pillow and I will admit that I felt a little twinge of success J
Most years I’m the one who’s completely done my Christmas shopping by the end of November but this year, I’ve had a little trouble getting motivated to shop.  So here it is, two days before Christmas, and I’ve still got a list of gifts that need to be purchased as well as several other things that have to be done.  It’s game time!  I know I need the big play to keep my team in the game today because tomorrow is definitely fourth down with one play left.  That’s a lot of pressure so I’m hoping for the big third down conversion today. 
For any of you in the same situation, I wish you the best of luck!  And in the week when we experienced the Miracle at the Meadowlands, I think it's safe to say that anything can happen! 
“Who cares how much effort I put in, if it doesn’t produce any results.” – Rudy (movie)

No comments:

Post a Comment