Monday, December 20, 2010

Happy Holiday To You



On Thanksgiving, I ended up in a conversation with my family where I was asked to pick my three favorite holidays.  This is actually a harder question than you might think because there are so many wonderful choices but I was pretty quick at coming up with my list.
My third favorite is the Fourth of July because it’s all about fun.  There’s no stress or gifts to buy, just BBQ’s, patriotic parades, and of course there are fireworks (I LOVE fireworks!).  My second choice was Christmas.  Everyone likes Christmas.  Beyond the gift aspect of the holiday, it’s just a really nice time of year and it’s almost impossible to not get wrapped up in the spirit of season.  And that left me with my first choice, my birthday.
This selection prompted the argument from my brother that my birthday is not a holiday and therefore was not an eligible choice but I stand by my pick.  My birthday may not be a national holiday but I definitely make it out to be.  I love birthdays and not just my own.  I think everyone should be a little extra special on their birthday.  It’s the only day of the year that celebrates you and the day you became a part of this world so why wouldn’t that be something worthy of holiday status?
On December 20th, 1957, my Aunt Gale was born.  Today is her birthday.  I wasn’t there for that day so I don’t remember it but I think it’s a day worth celebrating.  There have been 28 December 20th’s that I’ve been alive for and I’m sorry to say that I really don’t remember any of them.  However, I do remember November 8th, 2008.  It was on that day that December 20th became something other than a birthday.  It became the start date of a life and that cold day in November became the end.
Every year on November 8th, we honor the memory of Gale’s death but on December 20th, we should be celebrating the gift of her life.  She gave the world two amazing boys full of great promise and potential.  To one man, she gave her heart and the chance to be with his soulmate.  She was a constant friend and rock to her siblings, family and friends.  She touched the lives of many without even trying.  And to one girl, she was a godmother, a role model and a hero. 
Gale would have been 53 years old today and I wish I remembered more of her birthdays with the same vivid recollection that I have for her last day.  I may not be able to recall the gifts that I gave her or watching her blow out the candles on her birthday cakes but I do know that my life would not have been the same without her, so I will forever be thankful for this day in 1957. 
Birthdays may not be considered holidays to everyone but they should be.  The world is a better place with you in it and I can’t think of a more well deserved reason for something to be considered a holiday!  Maybe the whole world won’t celebrate with you but your whole world will and that’s all that matters.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY GALE!!! 

“If there's something that your dreaming of then may it all come true, because you deserve it all...Happy Birthday To You” - Unknown



Happy Birthday Gale!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment