Friday, April 1, 2011

Friends Forever?

So I have a friend that constantly preaches that guys and girls can’t be friends.  I've always thought he was drastic in making that statement but while catching up with the Jersey Shore, Mike “The Situation” actually made a similar statement on the reunion special when he said “I find it very difficult for guys and girls to be friends”.   Maybe that is the eternal question.
Can guys and girls really be just friends?  In my world this concept has been tested a lot lately.  I started out standing firmly on the side that friendships between the sexes are totally possible but the more and more I really looked at those friendships, the less and less I believe that is true.  My past relationships have given me a lot of reasons to have trust issues but recently my friendships have made me doubt that I can trust anyone.
My argument for friendships between males and females being possible was always that people have types and you typically tend to befriend those of the opposite sex who don’t fall under the category of your type because if they were your type, you wouldn't be settling for just being friends.  Sounds pretty straight forward right?  Well what happens when you classify someone as not your type and put them in the friend zone but they don’t see it the same way?  Are your “friends” just biding their time until they get the chance to make their move?  Will guys and girls ever truly be able to maintain as strictly platonic relationship or will there always be the potential for something more?
“A guy and a girl can be just friends, but at one point or another, they will fall for each other…Maybe temporarily, maybe at the wrong time, maybe too late, or maybe forever.” – Dave Matthews Band

No comments:

Post a Comment