Thursday, April 28, 2011

All Things End

Now I’m sure for a girl who’s been so focused on change this year, it is going to surprise you when I say that I actually don’t like change.  It’s a Nicki Minaj song that says, “I wish that I could have this moment for life” and sometimes we all wish that we could hang on to a situation or a memory or a moment.  If something is good we want to keep it but ultimately change is inevitable.  It comes whether we like it or not and sometimes we have to let go before the moment lets go of us.
I don’t like change for two reasons.  One, I have an irrational fear of the unknown.  Not knowing what to expect or what is going to happen next scares me.  Branching out, leaving the familiar and entering into something I have no idea about is terrifying.  Lately, I’ve let that fear go.  What we don’t know can be scary or it can be exciting, depending upon how we choose to see it.  I’m going to give the unknown the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best.
That leads me to my second reason, which is that I have a problem letting go.  If something is good, I want to live in that happy time or situation for as long as I can but ever chapter eventually has to end.  If you try to avoid that point, you will only end up overstaying your welcome and the moment becomes something completely different with or without your cooperation.
In order to really change, I realized early on that I would have to let go.  So I packed up my baggage and attempted to leave it all in 2010.  However, I have been holding on to more than just baggage.  Letting go isn’t just about leaving the negative things behind me but also about saying goodbye to things when it is their time to end.  I’ve realized recently, that many things in my life have reached or past their expiration dates but I’ve been too scared to say goodbye. 
Holding on to things because they once were good is nothing more than living in the past.  One moment may be over but by letting go, you’re just making way for new moments to take its place.  Eventually all things run their course and we just have to be smart enough to know when to walk away. 
“Don’t cry because it’s over.  Smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment