Tuesday, December 20, 2011

6 Evolving Friendships

When I was in grade school, I met my best friend Amy.  Through grade school, high school, college, and even the sorority, we did it all together.  I don’t think I would have survived it all without her. 
When we got to our junior high years, Amy and Shannon started to become closer friends.  At that point in our lives, Shannon hated me.  She really tried hard to make life difficult for me for some reason but as we got deeper into high school, somehow the animosity between us faded leaving behind a friendship between two people who probably had more in common than they ever would have thought.
In high school, Amy met Brad at an after school job.  Brad, while keeping true to the old saying that boys only tease the girls they secretly like, started his relationship with Amy by throwing pennies at her.  Over their high school years and into college, they became great friends who were obviously perfect for each other but for some reason they just couldn’t get it together and get together.
Just as I was Amy’s sidekick, with Brad came Brent.  The two of them were so a like at times it was scary but I guess that’s why they were best friends.  That was then…
Today as I look back on where we’ve all been, it’s hard to believe how far we have come.  I don’t keep in touch with a lot of people from high school.  To be honest, that period of my life often seems like it was another lifetime but when it comes to Amy, Shannon, Brad, and Brent and all that we’ve been through as a group, I couldn’t imagine my life without them in it.  As the years went on, the group and its members evolved.  Brad finally got the girl and in 2009, Amy and Brad made it official as Shannon, Brent and I all stood beside them at their wedding. 
Old friends are the people who have known you through it all.  They know your most embarrassing moments and your deepest, darkest secrets.  They understand where you’re from and where you’ve been.  They are as much home to you as the house you grew up in.  They are a walking, talking reminder of your history, which can prove to be both good and bad.  But most importantly, they are there when it counts and if your old friends aren’t there for you, then I’m sorry but extremely glad that mine are.  And so that’s the story of my four long time, hometown friends.  Oh wait, but today is the sixth day of Christmas…
Just like with everything in life, friendships evolve.  Brent started dating Steph and she fit into the group so perfectly it was like she had been there from the beginning.  Then there came the best member of the bunch.  Amy and Brad welcomed Baby Tyler to the world in 2010.  Even though he's just a child, I think he's impacted this group more than any of us even realize and he's as much a part of it as all of us are.  And that brought my friend count to six. 
Today on the 6th day of Christmas, I am extremely grateful to have these 6 people in my life because they each hold a special place in my heart.   Sure over the years we will probably expand further and continue to grow as people but I’m fairly confident we will all do it together.  This Christmas, I say embrace the change.  Things can’t stay the same forever but just because they evolve, doesn’t mean that it is a bad thing.  I’m extremely grateful for the friendships that I have developed with each of these people and thankful that they continue to have me as a part of their lives.  So on this 6th day of Christmas, here’s to the six people that constantly remind me of who I used to be and where I’ve been even as we all move forward with our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment