Thursday, December 22, 2011

4 Years Working

Since graduating college, I’ve jumped around a little bit job wise.  I started working for a fitness facility selling programs, then went on to do public relations for a large scale venue management company, which led me to my current position as a meeting planner.  Today, on the 4th day of Christmas, I want to recognize 4 exciting years at my job.
When I first interviewed for my current position, I left the building thinking that this was my dream job and I had to get.   After I got it, I quickly realized that there would be times when the dream would be more like a nightmare but overall, the job has been good to me.  I started this position right before the economy hit its downward spiral and I have managed to keep it thus far which today, is a big deal.
For me, 4 years is a long time to be at job, especially if you averaged just 2 years at your previous places of employment.  In fact, it’s a long time to do anything.  It’s longer than any romantic relationship I’ve ever had, more time then I’ve lived in any one apartment, and the same amount of time I spent in high school or college.  Sure I may have this job or another one for 10, 15, or 20 years and this milestone will look like nothing in comparison but right now 4 years is a significant chuck of time in my life.
So this Christmas, I’m happy to have a job, especially this one.  I have more responsibility than I would have if I were with a bigger company, which means I learn more and am involved in a greater variety of things.  The people I work with are amazing and have become friends over the years.  I also get to travel around the country to some really fabulous places, which has been the most rewarding perk of the gig.  Of course this isn’t where I want my career journey to end, but it’s a really great place to stop along the way to my ultimate professional goal.  And being there for 4 years, also gets me an extra 4 days off next year, which will go a long way towards making 2012 a great one.  But right now, on the 4th day of Christmas, I am going to enjoy the 4 day weekend that started when I left the office this evening and that’s definitely something to be thankful 4 J   

No comments:

Post a Comment