Sunday, October 2, 2011

Get Your Pink On

Welcome to October!  This month my blog is getting a little makeover.  Life or so they tell me is going pink because October is Breast Cancer Awareness month so it’s time to get your pink on! 
The scariest thing in the world is nothing more than a six letter word: CANCER.  Every October, we put all our energy and effort into fighting the powerful killer, breast cancer.  It is the second most common form of cancer found in women behind skin cancer and the second most common cancer death for women after lung cancer.  Approximately, 1 in every 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.  As I sit here and look at a picture of my college friends, I count 9 women so according to that statistic; one of us is more than likely going to have to battle breast cancer at some point.
For me, this is a topic that hits very close to home.  I have a family history of breast cancer on both sides of my family which increases my chances of being diagnosed with this disease at some point during my life.  So for my own selfish purposes, I believe that we should always be striving to find a cure for breast cancer.  Maybe you don’t have a family history but if you are a woman or have a sister, wife, girlfriend, or just a female friend in your life, there will always be a chance that she will come face to face with breast cancer. 
So this month, I encourage you do something to get involved in the fight to end breast cancer.  I will be raising money and walking in the American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in New Jersey in memory of my Aunt Gale who lost her battle with breast cancer 3 years ago.  What are you going to do?   GET YOUR PINK ON!!!
“Every woman needs to know the facts. And the fact is, when it comes to breast cancer, every woman is at risk.”  -Debbie Wasserman Schultz

No comments:

Post a Comment