Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Road is Life

The great Jack Kerouac wrote “Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go.  But no matter, the road is life.”  My battered suitcase is once again pulled out and sitting on the floor next to my bed.  My clothes are still hanging in the closet but soon they will be folded, shoved, and crammed inside that suitcase as it becomes my constant companion on the road.   There are planes, trains and automobiles in my future.  Home is where the hotel is.  Welcome to my life as a nomad.
As I flipped through my calendar today, I realized that the months were quickly filling up.  In fact, starting this coming week, whether for business or pleasure, I will be in and out of Philadelphia straight through the beginning of April. 
I love to travel.  I love the change that it brings to my life.  One day I can be in freezing cold, snowy Philadelphia and the next day, I can wake up and take a walk on a beautiful Miami Beach.  I can go from the fast paced craziness of New York City to the slow southern living of Charleston, SC.  I can experience the steamy heat of the Phoenix desert and the misty cool Seattle rain in the same week. 
For the first quarter of 2011, the high points include a trip to the FLA to visit Harry, a little GPhiB in NYC, back to the ORL, down to NOLA, and to the Happiest of Valleys and back to the Big Apple.  Then it’s spring in Tampa Bay, once again in Disney country, off to sunny So Cal, hopefully a trip up the Cali coast to see the fam, on to the Burgh, and finally a little bit of Southwestern flavor with a stop in the Big D.  You definitely get bonus points if you can figure all that out J.
 To most people, my schedule may seem a bit overwhelming but to me it’s the chaos that I live for.  This level of travel is nothing new to me and when I’m not on the road I get a little stir crazy.  We live in an amazing country and I’m extremely fortunate to get the opportunity to see so many of its different parts.  I’m hoping that during this round of travel, I’ll be able to experience some of the amazing things that each of these cities have to offer, things I haven't done before and check a few more items off my list.  I’ve got some big plans for the next few months and it’s time to take this life on the road.   
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment