Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Irony of Fortune

Today was my kind of Sunday Funday, which means chick flicks and Chinese.  Now, while the Reese Witherspoon flick “How Do You Know” left me wishing I had gone to see Marky Mark and Christian Bale in “The Fighter”, the Chinese food did not disappoint.  However, it was my favorite part of the meal that inspired today’s post (thanks Jared for the suggestion!).
I would definitely put Chinese down as one of my favorite types of food (after Italian).  Although the chicken and broccoli was incredible, I secretly look forward the part of the dinner when the bill comes and you get the stack of fortune cookies to enjoy.  The crispy cookies are good but it’s the idea of the mystery message that comes inside them that really intrigues me.  Most of the time you get cryptic messages like “the bird flies at night”, but every once in awhile you crack open the cookie and that tiny slip of paper reveals something that is so totally you that it’s scary.
I have a crazy theory on fortune cookies and I thought I would share it with all of you.  I think we get the irrelevant fortune cookie messages when we aren’t looking for answers but when we need it the most, the little cookie gives us the advice we’ve been looking for.  I actually like to hold on to the fortunes that I feel are relevant to my life or current situation and today’s fortune was definitely a keeper.  “Sometimes the object of the journey is not the end, but the journey itself.”  The irony of this message was frightening.  Think the universe is trying to tell me something? J
“A wise man turns chance into good fortune.” – Thomas Fuller

No comments:

Post a Comment