Saturday, January 1, 2011

Lucky Number 11

Welcome to 2011!  I know I’ve mentioned before that every year I say on NYE that the upcoming year is going to be my year and I purposely didn't make that prediction this year since it hasn't exactly been an accurate assumption in the past.  However, I am pretty confident that this year is going to be the year of Ali.
The number 11 is a lot of different things.  Arizona Cardinals Wide Receiver Larry Fitzgerald, Philadelphia Phillies Short Stop Jimmy Rollins, Houston Rockets Center Yao Ming and PSU Quarterback Matt McGloin all wear the Number 11 on their jerseys.  It’s the first number that can’t be represented when we count with our fingers.  11 is the 5th smallest prime number and the atomic number for sodium on the periodic table of the elements.  It is an urban legend that if you see 11:11 on a clock you should make a wish.   Apollo 11 was the first manned spacecraft to land on the Moon, the maple leaf on the Canadian Flag has 11 points, and in numerology it is the first of the Master Numbers.   Most importantly, it is my number.
We all have one number that stands out to us for some reason or another.  Most likely it was the number that you wore when you played sports, the number that you make sure to play when you see a roulette wheel, or just a number that you feel is lucky for you.  Sometimes it is our birthday or the number worn by our favorite sports star as a kid but whatever it is that makes a certain number your favorite number is irrelevant because there is no real criteria for how to select your lucky number. 
For me, picking 11 as my lucky number was a combination of a gut feeling and dumb luck.  In the 6th grade, I got a basketball uniform and I wore number 11.  I had played sports for years and had worn many other numbers but for some reason that number stuck.   If you were an athlete at any point, you know how loyal people are to their numbers and I am no exception.  Since then number 11 has been “my number” and has played a big role in my life.  I know it might be crazy but everything is 11.  I won’t bore anyone with how much I really do use the number but trust me; it makes an appearance every day. 
Well for the next year, number 11 will be present in my life even more than it ever has been.  I am excited to see what this new year will bring.  I am not the same person who hoped every year that this will be their year.  I know that in life, you get what you give so I’m hoping that if I give it my all, I will get that back.  My mindset for 2011 is already completely different than it ever has been but it doesn’t hurt to have a little luck on your side.  It may be superstitious to think that this number will bring me luck but I can’t help but believe that great things happen with the number 11. 
"May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light.  May good luck purse you each morning and night" - Irish Blessing

No comments:

Post a Comment