Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Spring Is In The Air

Today, somewhere on television Bill Murray is reliving the same miserable day over and over again, in a small town in Pennsylvania there is a ceremony receiving national attention, and throughout the country there is a winter storm freezing out most of us.  Happy Groundhog Day! 
The story behind this second day in February is that if Punxsutawney Phil, the world’s most famous groundhog, sees his shadow, we will have six more weeks of winter to look forward to but if he does not there is an early spring coming our way.  This year, the critter didn’t see his shadow, however, when I go outside to scrap all the ice off my car so that I can try to get to work, I find it hard to believe that spring is just around the corner. 
This morning when my alarm went off, I found myself feeling Bill Murray’s pain.  This winter is starting to feel a little like the movie Groundhog Day.  Each day I wake up and look at out the window to see what form of punishment the winter has brought to my life now.  Sometimes its snow, sometimes ice, and the blistering winds and below zero temperatures have been fun too.  No matter what the day, there’s always something.
But today I am going to choose to believe the myth of the weather predicting groundhog.  An early spring is exactly what I need to free me from my winter funk.  Spring means my birthday, Phillies Spring Training in Florida, and the first signs of warm weather.  So while I am deicing my car this morning, I will be dreaming of sunny days, flowers, baseball and the day I officially retire my heavy, bulky winter jacket for another year.
"Spring is nature's way of saying 'Let's Party!'" - Robin Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment