Friday, February 11, 2011

Partner in Crime

Back in November, I wrote a post about how important it is to surround yourself with the right people and differentiate real friends from acquaintances. Well today, I want to take that one a step further. In your life, you can consider yourself very lucky if have people that you will do anything for because you know they would do anything for you. Well out of all those people, there may be one or two that stand above the rest. These are the people that you are truly meant to go through life with. They make your life better simply because they are a part of it. These are your best friends.


Now I don’t mean to discredit any other friends in your life but best friends are people that know you so well that sometimes it scary. They can finish your sentences, tell you what clothes you have in your closet, keep your deepest and darkest secrets in the vault, and know just how to calm you down when you need it. They are your partner in crime.

Today is February 11th and I am excited to wish my best friend a very happy birthday! Amy and I have been through so much over the years. In grade school we bonded over art and drawing, played sports together, and hung out at each other’s houses. In high school, we braved the scary new world together from that first minute of 6D homeroom to the day we threw our green, gold and white caps in the air at graduation. When it came time for college, we went our separate ways for the first time in 12 years. Our separation lasted only two years until she transferred and we became not only friends but sisters when we joined the same sorority. Sure we’ve had our ups and downs but when all is said and done, it was us against the world.

Almost two years ago, I stood up at Amy's wedding and gave a speech releasing my rights as best friend to her new best friend, her husband Brad. Honestly, if I have to share her with anyone, I couldn’t imagine anyone better than Brad. As I watched her on one of the biggest days of her life, I kept thinking how far we had come from the days when we spent our time making friendship bracelets and the most important decision we had was who was going to be our four square partner. We been through bad fashion choices, questionable boyfriends, major life moments, and other friends that have come and gone but still our friendship remains in tact. Yesterday we had our weekly lunch date and tonight I will babysit her son while she celebrates her birthday. I’ve known her 23 years and I know she’ll be stuck with me for many, many more.

Every Thelma needs a Louise and every Batman needs a Robin. Harry Potter would be no where without Ron Weasley and Romi would have never invented Post Its without Michelle. Carrie had Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha and Flex had Oscar. Maybe you married your best friend or you grew up with them. Maybe they are a sorority sister, fraternity brother, teammate, co-worker, or family member.  Sometimes you just get one and sometimes you get 2 or 3 or a whole group. No matter who it is, think back today on all the amazing experiences you’ve had together and realize that they have made a mark on your life forever. I know my life needs an Amy. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

“Everyone has a “best friend” during each stage of life – but only a precious few have the same one.” – Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment