Thursday, February 24, 2011

Coming In Last Place

On Valentine’s Day, I wrote a post about my best and worst versions of the holiday.  Of course, Mr. Worst Valentine decides that he would like to make his reappearance on that particular day, the most romantic day of the year.  It only took one “Happy V-day” text message to make me realize that the universe is a little out of whack. 
That text got me thinking about my past relationships.  Now, I know I was supposed to leave all that drama in 2010 but it’s not the drama that I’ve been contemplating.   I’ve honestly been more fascinated with the idea of karma.
You see, I’ve had four major relationships in my life.  All of them were smart, successful in their own ways, and good looking but ultimately, each of these guys brought something different to the table which attracted me to them.  However, it is in hindsight that the blinders, created by your crush, come off and you see things more clearly.  For me it is pretty black and white, two of those guys were really great guys and two of them were not so good.  Ironically, the two jerks have girlfriends while the other two are still on the market.  I’m sure Mr. Worst Valentine’s new girlfriend wouldn’t be so happy with him texting best Valentine wishes to his ex but still he will have a girlfriend tomorrow.  If not his current one, some new girl will come along and get swept up in his bluster and bull.
But my question, is why?  If the saying is what goes around comes around, then what kind of karmic retribution is being served by the bad boys landing in the roses and the good ones falling into the gutter?  Honestly, why do some people fall for you when others don’t?  And why do you end up falling for people who will never fall for you back?  If life is supposed to be as simple as do unto others as you would want done unto you, then shouldn’t those doing the hurting be the ones feeling the pain?
Personally, I don’t harbor any ill will towards anyone.  Life is too short to live in the past but since I'm in the process of figuring out my dating present/future, I can’t help but wonder if nice guys finish last, what happens to nice girls?  There’s a thought to ponder.
"It's not true that nice guys finish last.  Nice guys are winners before the game ever started." - Addison Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment