Tuesday, July 19, 2011

One Month

Today is July 19th, 2011.  Exactly one month from today I will be stepping on the plane and heading to New Zealand to work with Habitat for Humanity.  I don’t have construction experience.   I know no one.  I will be half way around the world for two weeks completely removed from my everyday life.  For me this will be an experience of a lifetime but for Habitat, this is their everyday life.
I would venture to guess that most people know the basic premise of the Habitat for Humanity organization but the cliffs notes version is that they are a non-profit organization seeking provide decent, affordable living spaces to those in need.  These homes are built by volunteers willing to donate their time and energy to help the cause as well as the family who will call this house their home.  Between the family’s “sweat equity” hours and the time invested by volunteers, Habitat for Humanity is able to continue their exceptional mission around the world. 
As part of the team headed to New Zealand next month, I will get the opportunity to finish up two houses that were started by another team back in May and begin the construction of two new homes that will be worked on by other teams venturing to the area in the future.  I can’t believe that in just one month, I will be a major part of giving a family a gift that will change their lives. 
I feel very strongly about this organization and the outstanding work that they do in communities around the world.  There are about 1.6 billion people through the world who are living in substandard conditions.  On top of that number, another 100 million are homeless.  In the US alone, 95 million people are faced with housing issues. (statistics are from the Habitat for Humanity website - http://www.habitat.org/)  When I read statistics like that, I think sometimes I take for granted that I have been lucky enough in my life to always have somewhere to go home to.  I’ve never had to worry about not having a roof over my head and I hope that when I meet these families in a month, that they too will have the safe feeling of knowing they will never be without a place to call home again.   
As I get ready to take my adventure with Habitat for Humanity, I urge you all to learn more about this fantastic organization and get involved.  Sure, you may not have the time or money to take off and go to New Zealand but there are plenty of builds in need of volunteers much closer to home.  And of course if you can’t give your time, give what you can from a financial stand point.  Every dollar and every dime helps keep this special group going and making a difference in our world.  If you can’t afford to give a monetary gift or donate your time to the cause right now, at least learn more about the work that Habitat for Humanity does and keep it mind for your future charitable involvement. 
To find out more about Habitat for Humanity, make a financial contribution or learn how to participate in a building event, visit www.habitat.org. 
“Habitat gives us an opportunity which is very difficult to find: to reach out and work side by side with those who never have had a decent home—but work with them on a completely equal basis. It’s not a big-shot, little-shot relationship. It’s a sense of equality.”—former U.S. President Jimmy Carter


No comments:

Post a Comment