Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fantastic At Any Age

Time is a funny thing.  It’s one of the few constants that we can depend on in life.   There are times when you wish it would speed up a bit to get something more exciting or you hope it would just slow down in order to prolong certain moments but ultimately it just keeps right on going.  60 seconds to every minute, 60 minutes to every hour, 24 hours to every day, 7 days to every week, and 52 weeks to every year.  It’s pretty dependable that way.
Well today, time ticked away my twenties and left me standing right on the door step of a whole new decade.  When I woke up this morning the clock didn’t read 6:30am, but instead said loudly, welcome to 30!  For a long time, that number held a pretty powerful place in my life.  It was the deadline I set for that next step in my life to be completed.  It was a scary age which would come with panic if in fact those next step items didn’t come together by that age.  It was a number that for so long, seemed to be forever away until I noticed, it was standing right next to me. 
When I turned 29, I saw it as the death march for my 20’s had beginning.  It was just a clock ticking away the seconds, minutes, hours, and days until the big 3-0.  But somewhere in the past year, all that changed.  As I watched friend after friend reach this milestone with trepidation, I found myself less and less scared and more excited for this next phase in my life.  I had already let go of the expectations I once had so 30 representing a deadline was no longer relevant and lately my life has been progressing at an all time high level so I couldn’t be at better place to enter this new decade.  They way I see it, I am not saying good bye to life as I know it, but rather getting ready for what I’m sure will be another exciting era filled with new adventures and a continuation of my story.
Time is a funny thing.  When it comes to good times and happy moments, we never seem to have enough of it and it flies by but when we’re stuck in traffic or doing things we would rather not be doing, the time just can’t go by fast enough.  We can’t spend our lives scared of the ticking clock.  We just have to take each second, minute, hour, day, week, and year as it comes and try to enjoy it.  No one knows what time will hold for us but we need to make the most of the time we have. 
So here’s to my 20’s.  It was an interesting journey, I learned a lot, and there will be many life lessons and fond memories of that age bracket that I will keep with me forever.  And here’s to my 30’s.  From where I’m standing right now, I am confident it will be one hell of a ride.  And most importantly, here's to me.  Fantastic at any age :)
"I think I'll take a moment, celebrate my age.  The ending of an era and the turning of a page.  Now it's time to focus in on where I go from here.  Lord have mercy on my next thirty years." - My Next Thirty Years by Tim McGraw

No comments:

Post a Comment