Sunday, January 8, 2012

Become A Butterfly

A while back I bought a journal that had a proverb written on the front.  It said, “Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly”.   I bought that book not only because I liked the saying but because it also hit home for me at that particular time.  Today I look back at that book and those words and see it may have been a forcast of what was coming for me.
It was about a year before I started this blog that I bought that book.  I had never heard that proverb before but it sounded nice.  At the time, I was a little more lost than usual and that particular saying felt comforting to me.  I was a lot like a caterpillar.  I was at this turning point in my life and something was going happen, I just didn’t know what.  It seemed like my karma was shot and every road I took was paved with bad luck.  Everything I had worked for and everything I wanted seemed to be further and further away from where I was and I didn’t see myself heading in that direction at all.  Basically, like the caterpillar, I thought my life, or at least my life as I thought it would be, was over. 
Pretty much you could say that my future was on the line.  I could just roll over and let everything go or I could change and become something new.    So I started this blog, committed to the idea of accepting life as it was, focused on finding the greatness in what I had, and learned to be open to the unexpected.  Pretty much, my caterpillar days were ending.  I was becoming something different.  A new version of me.   At the beginning of this year, I bought a new journal.  This one didn't have any words or inspiring stayings but it was covered in butterflies.
Part of me writes this blog for myself.  I want to remember where I’ve been, see how far I’ve come, and document my own journey.  The other reason I do it is because I want people to see that it is possible to be something else.  If you want to change badly enough or think differently about yourself, you can.  I did.  As I sit here high on my own triumph, I also see that a lot of people around me are caterpillars.  Life has thrown them one too many curve balls and they are a little down on their luck.  Overall, they are struggling with life how they wanted it to be and life how it’s going to be and to all those caterpillars out there, you can choose to let your world end or you can change.  Become a butterfly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment